CD-ROM drive is a pull-out container in which a compact disc is to be put for reading or/and recording digital information with laser. They can be both external and internal.
CD-ROM drive is the place from which the whole computer work usually begins. To enjoy the full spectre of the machine’s functions, a user is to install drivers for each element he/she is going to use in the future. Usually, they are recorded on compact discs that are read by CD-ROM drive. If there are some problems with it, you’d better download drivers for CD-ROM from some other source.
While choosing a computer or some other electronic equipment, a potential user is to pay attention to CD-ROM drive’s most important characteristics if he/she does not want to have problems with reading or recording digital data. What are these features?
Bear in mind that you may need to download CD-ROM drivers if you have installed a new operational system on your computer. Otherwise, it can simply not recognize CD-ROM drive. Although, some of them are quite compatible and do not require from you additional updating.
- Speed of reading or/and recording data. It depends on the speed of a disc’s rotation and the density of data on it.
- Quality of reading or/and recording. It is defined by the error rate, in other words the probability of deformation of 1 data bit.
- Buffer storage capacity. To enhance access speed, chips of RAM (Random Access Memory) are inserted. Their capacity is several MB.
- Average access time. It is time during which a drive detects needed data.
There exist such types of CD-ROM drives (they are represented in the order of their appearance):
» CD-ROM: Full list of devices
- CD-ROM drive (Compact Disk Read-Only Memory). It is the simplest one; it is designed only for reading data.
- CD-RW drive can read and record digital information exclusively on CD-R and CD-RW discs.
- DVD-ROM drive reads DVD disks.
- DVD/CD-RW drive performs the same functions as DVD-ROM but in addition it can record data on CD-R/RW disks.
- DVD-RW drive is capable of reading and recording on DVD discs.
- BD-RE drive is created for reading and recording information on the discs of Blu-Ray format. Under the “information” here is meant digital video in high resolution (HDTV).
- HD DVD-ROM drive can only read HD DVD discs.
- HD-DVD drive reads all formats of CD and DVD disks, records and stores the films in high resolution.
List of Manufacturers